Surveys and research on HMI and safety education methods in line with the sophistication of automated driving.
Research on a safe and smooth communication method that ensures the safety between automated driving vehicles and other drivers and pedestrians and clearly shows each other's intentions. Research on HMI for proper driving succession in "when the conditions for automatic driving are not met" or "when the function of the automatic driving system deteriorates" in a level 3 or level 4 automated driving system. And to research on knowledge and effective educational methods that drivers and pedestrians should acquire regarding Level 3 and Level 4 automated driving (including Level 2). The action items and goals are as follows.
- Clarify the design requirements and recommended items regarding the design of communication between "autonomous driving vehicles for low-speed travel and logistics services" and "surrounding traffic participants" at level 4 equivalent. In addition, propose the results to the international standard (ISO / TC22 / SC39 / WG8).
- Clarify the appropriate transition protocol and HMI when transitioning from levels 3 and 4 to manual operation. Clarify the method for evaluating the driver's OEDR performance, HMI that promotes reliable driving succession, and educational requirements for Level 2 driving on general roads. In addition, propose the results to international standards.
- To contribute to domestic institutionalization by proposing prototypes of education and training programs for the safe use of autonomous driving systems at driving schools, driver's license renewals, dealers, and car rental services.
- To take international initiatives by coordinating with overseas trends through international research collaboration.
The following three items are to be carried out:
- Task A: To research and develop on the communication between Automated Driving System vehicles of transfer and logistic service at low-speed and surrounding traffic participants.
- Task B: To research and develop on HMI to carry out proper driving takeover when deviating from the condition of driving environment or failing of the system.
- Task C: To research and develop on the understandings drivers and pedestrians need to acquire and the effective educational methods.
August, 2019 through February, 2022
- National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
- Keio University
- University of Tsukuba
- Tokyoto Business Service Co., Ltd.
- The University of Tokyo
- Kumamoto University